Last weekend my beau and I went to Atlanta for a brief visit. I somehow convinced him to accompany me to a fabric store, Gail K. Fabrics to be exact. It’s been a few years since I’ve set foot in a brick and mortar fabric store so this was both an overwhelming and exciting experience. Sections were barely labeled, bolts were stacked floor to ceiling, and the store was full of seamstresses on a mission. I managed to find four gorgeous pieces of wool in about an hour, but I definitely need to get back soon as I’m pretty sure I only looked at half the store.
I immediately set out to make some wide leg trousers with the orchid gabardine (top) and was pleased that my pattern adjustments on Vogue 1325 worked as planned. The pattern calls for a fly front and slant pockets, but I turned the fly into a center front seam, removed the pockets, and added a side zip. A quick muslin from waist to mid-thigh was enough to know my adjustments would translate well into my wool.
I’m really pleased with the finished product and plan to wear these pants this week for my birthday. I added a serged plus hand-sewn hem to finish them off, and cut the facings on the fold to accommodate the side zip.
This week honestly felt like a recovery week from travel and work. I’ve also been busy marketing my sewing business and teaching new students, so my personal projects have taken a back seat to all of that until this past week. I finally sat down and did some planning for my spring/summer wardrobe and started with vintage Simplicity 4986 in cotton chambray.
I’m really lucky this baby fit right out of the envelope, because I muslined the bodice over 2 years ago. This, though, is my new favorite dress and I plan on making several more before weather gets warm. I also made some changes to the front ties – I’m going to cut them on the fold on the next iteration and stitch then turn them so the stitching doesn’t show.
Last but not least, I held an Intro to Home Dec class on Saturday and had so much fun with my student. We started by measuring and making a pattern for her pillow covers on Swedish tracing paper.
I then taught her how to add a grainline, rip her fabric to find the grainline, place her pattern and prep her fabric to be sewn.
The best part of this class, and something I plan to incorporate in future courses, is that I sewed alongside her. We did every step of the process together and I was able to explain as I was working, as well as demonstrate some key tasks. This was especially handy when I taught her how to install her first zipper.
She walked away with two handmade pillow covers, patterns for both and a ton of skills to translate to other projects. Interestingly I kept making references to garment sewing – I never realized the two were so connected.
This coming week will be all about planning for March’s sewing courses. I had a list of things for February but now that I’ve had more time to think about them, I think I might adjust the classes to add more spring dresses into the mix!