Welcome to Modern Seamstress Media! Here you’ll find all of my online sewing courses designed to teach you everything you need to know to start creating and improve your custom wardrobe from the comfort of your own home. Every course can be viewed as many times as you need, and include thorough instructions for each technique. Each course is designed to be used in conjunction with the others, as well as supplement in-person classes.
Garment Sewing Basics
This three-part course is the foundation of your garment sewing instruction, and breaks down the essentials before you ever sew your first stitch. You’ll learn:
- How to read and understand commercial & independent sewing patterns
- Where to find key information for your project on your pattern envelope and pattern tissue
- How to prepare your fabric, find its grainline, and place your pattern pieces appropriately
- How to cut out your pattern pieces using either pins & sewing scissors, or a rotary cutter & mat
Fitting 101 – Coming Soon!
Fitting 101 is a crucial partner to Garment Sewing Basics. In order to create custom clothes that FIT, you need to understand how to turn your 2D pattern into something to graze your 3D body. In Fitting 101 you’ll learn:
- How to take a comprehensive set of body measurements
- How to compare your personal measurements to the pattern size chart
- How to make the most common length and width adjustments, including lengthening & shortening a pattern, and the ever elusive Full Bust Adjustment
- How to create a test garment to then assess for fit issues
10 Essential Techniques – Coming Soon!
You’re finally ready to begin creating your own custom wardrobe! Ten Essential Techniques breaks down specific skills needed for garment construction such that you can pick and choose which skills you need to master or review. Techniques include:
- Basic Seams & Seam Finishes – Learn multiple ways to finish your seams to extend the life of your custom garments including Stitch & Pink and French Seams
- Darts – Learn my method for marking and sewing a dart
- Bias Binding – Learn to attach bias tape to finish raw necklines and other edges
- Facings – Learn how to use a tailors board for perfectly flat neckline facings
- Centered Zippers – Learn how a few simple notions can make your zippers perfect
- Sleeves – Learn to insert set-in sleeves with minimal fuss
- Hems – Create beautiful hems with the addition of a few simple tools.
- And more!